Are you in Your Right Mind
Or your Left ~ A quiz
You probably know that the left-hand side of the brain works in a literal and sequential way, while the right-hand side is your creativity and imagination. Balance is perfect for day to day living with the ability to trigger action from either at any time.
Here is a little fun quiz for you to determine which is your preferred brain side.
1. Change BULL to GATE changing one letter at a time in as few goes as possible.
2. Work out the seventeen times tables - backwards. Do this for two minutes.
3. Imagine being a flower. Notice everything about yourself. Where are you? Are you in bud or blossoming? How are your roots? Check out your colour, size, and strength. Really try and get into being the flower. Is the earth dry or wet, warm or cold?
4. Imagine in your mind's eye that you are a bird. What bird are you? Are you small or large? What colour are you? Do you fly, walk or hop? What do you eat? What noise do you make? Are you male or female?
5. Being your imagined bird, fly over the top of your house and see how it looks from above, all around the outside and then go inside and explore the whole building, going from room to room.
How was that? Numbers 1 and 2 predominantly use the left hand side. Numbers 3 and 4 predominantly use the right. Number 5 uses both as you have to be creative and at the same time think logically to move around your house.
Which numbers did you find the easiest or the most preferable?
Have you ever heard the saying, 'Not in his/her right brain'?
Some people call the left side the thinker and the right the emotional - that's a pretty fair description.
When you are meditating, using self-hypnosis, daydreaming or creating you will mostly be in right-brain mode. But, your left-brain will join in and quite likely analyse, comment, disagree or agree knowingly as you go.
It might be that the left side is mostly the conscious mind and the right, the subconscious.
This is often surprising as many people expect to be 'out of it' when in hypnosis or a meditative state. They think the thinking part of the brain ‘shuts down’. Many times I have been told, 'I heard everything you said. I remained conscious throughout.' Well, that's a relief then.
The other frequent comment is, 'I didn't seem to go under'. I always ask them, 'Under what?'
The common misconception is that when we go into the hypnotic meditative state, we slip under the level of consciousness. However, we don't even do that when we're deeply asleep.
If your quiz results show that you are more left-brain dominant, by using your imagination and getting in touch with your feelings and emotions, you will be able to enhance the abilities of your right.
Too much right brain activity might make you seem fluffy or with your head in the clouds. Some serious right-brainers seem to bypass reality totally (maybe that's not such a bad thing?!). Logical thinking or doing things like working through a puzzle book or Sudoku will boost your left side. Some lefties seem narrow minded, as it might come across as though they are lacking in imagination and devoid of any emotion.
If you are completely balanced please come and work with me.
The Mind Salon is a reader-supported publication. To receive new posts and support my work, please consider becoming a paid subscriber.